Friday 23 August 2019

The Million Pieces of Neena Gill by Emma Smith-Barton (Young Adult, 10/10E)

 July 2019, Penguin, 336 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Summary from Penguin 
Neena's always been a good girl - great grades, parent-approved friends and absolutely no boyfriends.
But ever since her brother Akash left her, she's been slowly falling apart - and uncovering a new version of herself who is freer, but altogether more dangerous. 

As her wild behaviour spirals more and more out of control, Neena's grip on her sanity begins to weaken too. 

And when her parents announce not one but two life-changing bombshells, she finally reaches breaking point. 

But as Neena is about to discover, when your life falls apart, only love can piece you back together.

Nayu's thoughts
Titles always have something to do with the story (obviously) but I didn't realise how true this title was for Neena until I read further into the book. I wanted to know what happened to her brother, as much as Neena did, but I was so concerned for Neena's safety and sanity. She takes greater risks as the story goes on, she drinks and smokes and was on a self-destructive path. I promise that she doesn't completely break, part of her hangs on, and while she has to face some harsh truths involving her strict parents, she does get the help she needs eventually. 

I liked that I was able to read about that part of the story, that it didn't end when she fell apart. The book is mostly about how her mental health nosedives which now knowing the story must have had hints earlier that I missed because I wasn't looking for them. I assumed she was just a wayward teen. I feel bad for that assumption, especially because I was wrong. I think this is a highly relevant book for our times, and had me captivated wanting to know where her brother was, but that was barely half the story. I am looking forward to rereading it, picking out the parts where Neena's health declines without her realising, and knowing the truth about her missing sibling. 

Keep up to date with Emma on Twitter

Suggested read
Another good YA read which deals with family issues is Ellen Lives by Lynda Haddock (Young Adult, 10E/10E)

1 comment:

Alandre said...

I always turn to Vampire any time I want to. I become a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a Powerful Man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to Human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my Town. i become a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a Vampire Kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com