Thursday 15 October 2009

The Betrayal, by Mary Hooper


September 2009, Bloomsbury
288 pages, Paperback
Review copy
3rd book in a trilogy

Young Adult, Historical

Cushions: 2
Paperclips: 0.5
Yunaleska's recommended rating: ♥♥♥♥

I love historical fiction. I enjoy the lack of technology (only don't ever ask me to live that way), the costumes (if you ignore how uncomfortable the corsets could have been). I like learning about a snippet in time - just like other historicals The Betrayal is based on true events, with some creative licence involved. I urge everyone who is looking for historicals with less romance to read this book.

Diving into the trilogy at the concluding volume, although there were references to previous goings on, I wasn't bewildered by the events. It was easy to follow Lucy's journey as she serves in Dr Dee's house. Dr Dee is the magician for Queen Elizabeth the first, so Lucy's work is cut out for her as he moves back to London. She's the one who has to journey back with lost books, look after the children when the women paid to help out neglect them. She's enamoured with Tomas, the court jester, who also involved in the royal spy network.

The whole idea of Lucy being a spy for the queen were the primary reason why I requested this book for review. I was a little disappointed that although spying did happen, it didn't occur for quite a while in the book, and only near the end when the plot involving Mary Queen of Scots was at its peak was Lucy seriously endangered by being a spy. I guess I had expected a faster paced story. When the intrigue happened, it was with a twist I hadn't expected, and it did had me gripping the pages tightly, eager to read more. I'll happily re-read it, for the enjoyment of reading the earlier chapters with hindsight and because Lucy is a likeable character: she has her faults (jealousy) but she cares for others and is prepared to stand up to her employers for what she believes in.

I thoroughly enjoyed the humour in the book as Lucy, while still preparing the house in London for her master's arrival, gets to perform in a local play. Now, plays weren't for nice girls to attend, let alone play in. But, dressed up as a boy, she's chosen to play the female parts. She has a little bit of freedom to her life, and this brief acting career proves useful in keeping her safe when the palace guard believe she's a criminal, and for the orphan boy Sonny. It is also the setting for some encounters with Tomas, the court jester who holds her heart. Jealous of a new maid at court, Lucy spends much of the book unsure how Tomas feels about her, despite (in previous books) especially with a new girl on the scene who Tomas waits on most attentively.

Mary Hooper is added to my list of author's to watch, and her website is here.

Liked this? Try The Nostradamus Prophecy, by Theresa Breslin

No comments: