Thursday 15 October 2009

Al Capone Shines My Shoes by Gennifer Choldenko


September 2009, Bloomsbury
288 pages, Paperback
Review Copy

Children's,

Cushions: 4
Paperclips: 0.5
Smiles: 3
Tissues: 4
Yunaleska's recommended rating: ♥♥♥♥♥

I hold my hands up and say I know virtually nothing about Al Capone. Or that he was on Alcatraz. For 12 year old Moose (real name Matthew but few people call him that), living with convicts on the prison island is perfectly normal.

No need to hire expensive plumbers from off the island (which will cause security issues) with seven fingered convict called Seven Fingers on hand to deal with the dodgy plumbing. Who needs to do their own laundry when there are several men who will do it for free, saving both time and money? Moose has the pleasure of Al Capone being his personal laundry man. It is thanks to Al Capone (via a hidden note of 'Done') that Moose's sister Natalie is able to get into the school on the mainland.

Natalie suffers from autism. Gennifer mentions at the end of the story that the word autism wasn't around then, which is why it doesn't get used in the story. I thought this story would solely be humerous (I was smiling after the first sentence). But behind the surreal world of Moose's life is the touching story of how he and his family look after Natalie. Her character touched my heart. Her little habits didn't seem all that strange, Moose treats them as normal, which they are for her. In this world, I believe there is no such thing as normality. Other people on the island may see Natalie as a problem, but to her family she's wonderful. The moments when Moose reflects on life and enjoys seeing his family content pulled my heartstrings.

Moose is worried what he may have to do for Al Capone - why would a gangster help a 12 year old? (I believe the story of how Moose persuaded Al Capone to help his sister might be told in Al Capone Does My Shirts. I haven't read it - yet!) And worry he should: the inmates are not as content with life as they seem.

Unfortunately, the convicts know the residents' lives intimately, including Natalie's. It's this knowledge of her habits which aid them in smuggling items from the mainland to Alcatraz. It's up to Moose to get rid of the item, even when it reappears. I can honestly say I've never heard of a bar spreader being used in the way it is in the story. It is also down to Moose to please Piper, the warden's daughter, otherwise she'll continue to tell lies which puts his father's career on the line. I misjudged Piper: for all the luxury she has, I actually feel sorry for her. The one thing she needs, her father doesn't give her. Perhaps that's why she abuses her father's power.

If that wasn't bad enough, throughout the story Moose manages to fall out with his friends on the island (don't worry, there is a happy ending). And there's the life-threatening incident with a coin. This book isn't boring in the slightest.

Al Capone Shines My Shoes is a warm, heartfelt story with lots of humour amidst the serious events which unfold. Moose looks at the brighter side of life on Alcatraz, experience a childhood most will never have. All he wants is his sister to be happy, and to be free from Al Capone's debt. I liked the small notes at the back, explaining about Alcatraz and which parts of the story were fabricated.

Check out Gennifer Choldenko on her website.

Liked this? Try Cosmic by Frank Cottrell Boyce

No comments: