Friday 22 March 2024

Review: Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, Translated by Louse and Aylmer Maude (Classical Literature, 8/10E)

 


Originally published 1878, this edition March 2012, Dover Publications, 978 pages, Ebook, Personal copy

Book summary

 

Nayu's thoughts
I never read Tolstoy at school, but a dear Norwegian friend wanted to read it so I joined her. It was an epic read for sure but, imagine my surprise when the first chapter revealed Tolstoy to be much more readable than Jane Austen! I was delighted as I struggled with some Austen books. Tolstoy, at least in this translation, I could happily read more than once.
 

An edition I wish I could own, but it's leather so I can't. So gorgeous!!

Anna Karenina is reknown for being extremely long. However, read over a period of two months with about one part a week it felt a lot shorter. It really helped that I enjoyed a lot of the main characters (not Anna). There is no excuse on earth for adultery. Levin and Kitty's growing friendship after Kitty initially rejected him was a joy to read. Sometimes I read ahead of my allocated reading simply because I needed to know what happens next, which is totally the sign of a good book. Because I talked about it so much another friend is considering trying it. There are some chapers that are dull, and I felt the final part of the book was a bit odd in terms of Levin's bizarre attitude, considering all he had overcome mentally his sudden spiritual crisis and being less attentive to Kitty felt against is nature. 

I don't have much care for Anna. What she did was wrong. She was frequently selfish regarding her only child, her original husband was willing to forgive her transgressions but she was determined to throw away her old life and have her new one. It is not a surprise that she met a sorry end. The lead up to that end was brilliantly written. Russia at that time felt so alive in the novel, I loved learning about the farming culture, which felt initially quite free-ing from the city's elite circles but Levin discovered trying to get labourers to try anything new was a monumental feat. 

I'm actually looking forward to when we tackle War and Peace because I've made sure to get the same translation as Anna, but not looking to the vast quantity of characters. I do highly recommend Anna Karenina as a read, and this is from someone who does not necessarily love classics!  

Suggested read

Not really reviewed classics but for a historical read check out The Seamstress by Maria Duenas, translated by Daniel Hahn (Historical, Fiction, 9/10E)


 

No comments: