Thursday 21 March 2024

Review: Finn Family Moomintroll by Tove Jansson, Translator Elizabeth Portch (Children's, 7 years +, 9/10E)

Originally 1948, this edition 2023, Puffin, 182 pages, Paperback, Personal copy 

Book summary from Puffin

 Poor little chap! He had been turned into a very strange animal indeed . . .

Although they're small, fat and shy creatures, Moomins have the most amazing adventures. It all begins when Moominpappa tries on a magic hat that makes exciting and funny things happen . . .

Finn Family Moomintroll is the best-loved book in the cult classic Moomin series by Tove Jansson. A must-read for both children and adults.

Nayu's thoughts

As a child I remember reading about the Moomins but some of the characters scared me so I then avoided anything to do with them. The Moomins themselves look like marshmallow creatures, white and rounded. The other creatures...well I still don't like them but their characters in their non-illustrative form are absolutely fine! 

There's a new Moomin game out on Nintendo Switch which is why I wanted to reread one of their tales. They are really charming, especially on learning they hibnerate. They all have distinctive personalities which as a whole lead to amusing tales. I liked how some of the scary seeming characters ended up being rather friendly souls and helpful in their own way. I like how the characters explain some natural phenomena, and just what an odd bunch the Moomin family which includes other creatures too. Some are philosophical, others are straight forward in how they view life. Overall they are fun and I may slowly collect the books and ignore the illustrations that still freak me out. 

Suggested read

A series from my childhood that I adore is Babar The Elepehant Babar's Celesteville Games + Le Chateau de Babar by Laurent de Brunhoff (Children's, Picture books, 10E/10E)

 



No comments: