Wednesday 21 November 2018

The Pooka Party by Shona Shirley Macdonald (Children's, Picture book, 9/10E)

 October 2018, The O'Brien Press, 32 pages, Hardback, Review copy

Summary from O'Brien Press
The Pooka is a magical shapeshifter who lives in the mountains all alone; fixing things, painting, dancing and singing. Suddenly, none of this seems fun any more, the Pooka realises that its lonely and hasn't seen its friends in ages!

After having some time to think, the Pooka decides to throw a big party and invite all of its friends. Join the Pooka as it attempts to throw the Pooka party of the century in this fun and beautifully illustrated picture book.


Nayu's thoughts 
I loved the colours on the cover, the gold and silver parts even glisten. However, I nearly didn't read it because it looked scary. It is a bit scary for me on the inside, but I wanted to read it for a particular reason. A great urban fantasy book series I've read involves a Pooka, something I'd never heard of before, so I was intrigued how a children's book would handle a Pooka. For those who don't know a Pooka is an Irish mythological creature, which may be why this picture book is published by O'Brien Press, an Irish publisher. 

I can't remember all the story, and while I usually reread picture books as I review them, I don't want to on this occasion (not fond of the illustrations, they freak me out a little which is nothing to do with their high quality. I'm just a bit weird!) so I'll go with what I remember. I know the spellings the Pooka uses when writing it's invitations made me laugh, and by the end of the book he was no longer alone. It goes to show you should never judge a person by how they look, it's who they are inside that counts. I'm sorry Pooka, but you were a bit too freaky for my tastes! I'm know you've a gentle heart though, so keep inviting people to your parties! 

See more stunning illustrations on Shona's website

Suggested read

No comments: