Wednesday 21 November 2018

Two Spells by Mark Morrison (Children's, 9 years +, 9/10E)

February 2018, Createspace, 316 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Book Summary 
 Sarah and her twin brother Jon are heirs to an ancient magical realm and its most valuable treasure: an enchanted library. The library endows readers with the supernatural means of crossing into the uncharted inner sanctum of the second-dimension, inhabited with peculiar and sometimes perilous creatures. Both children are emboldened with a wondrous, mystical gift that no being has ever possessed before. But fate intervenes and triggers a disastrous war that disrupts the fabric of time and space, spanning multiple universes and tearing destiny a new and savage pathway. The two must rescue their world from a phantom hybrid alien race controlled by the demented dark wizard, Jeremy Sermack. They'll either assimilate or be exterminated. Will they be the saviors that the prophets envisioned, or will they retreat to the perceived safety of their distant homeland?

Nayu's thoughts
I wasn't able to finish the book, so it's a partial review. I thoroughly enjoyed what I read, it's fun having the entire family go on holiday and all experience strange goings on that are more than meets the eye and heavily related to the grandparents that are being visited. I was excited about the vampires and/or werewolves elements, and the mysteries that the grandparents slowly unraveled to the children. There are plenty of moments that had me smiling away, or on the edge of my seat because I didn't want the worse case scenario to happen. Stories with siblings, especially twins are great fun, and I loved the interaction between Sarah and Jon.

The only reason why I had to stop reading is because I have a limit as to how much weird and wonderfulness I can cope with, and unfortunately I reached my limit before finishing this book. I can't easily explain what I find weird, only that I truly tried to keep reading but had to stop. Too much weirdness can lead to nightmares, which I obviously try and avoid. The review grade is based on what I'd read so far, so please give it a go! I'm certain it is an incredible read all the way through, and highly recommend it! 

Suggested read
If you enjoy sibling themed books also check out The Irish Wizard by Avril Sabine (Children's, 9 years +, 10/10E)

No comments: