Sunday 10 December 2017

Maria Is My Pal by Dr. Michael T. Soloman (Children's, 5 years +, 10E/10E)

April 2017, AuthorHouse, 62 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Book summary
Although a newcomer to this genre, readers would not know it from the way the author’s warm-hearted tale evokes laughter, smiles, joyful emotions, and reflections on his writing. His inspiration comes from watching his daughters grow and mature and become inspirations to many in their own right. His first book captures key moments in their childhood that intersect so many family stories—the first pet.
 
Nayu's thoughts
Pets are highly entertaining, but there can be a scary side to owning them. Sometimes they run away, frequently through human error. I like that there were so many pets at the school for the children to take care of, because it shows them that different creatures have different needs. Willow is a sweet girl, devastated when Maria the class pet goes missing. That was tragic - the pain was all too real for me as due to my error I've lost one of my zebra finches, Aeris, out my window that way: as far as I'm concerned she lived happily ever after with a kind pigeon who took her in. The reality is too awful to contemplate. 

Thankfully that train of thought isn't lingered on for Maria's disappearance, Willow ends up with her own pet rabbit who she loves ever so much. It's not all plain sailing, and Willow does a very kind act with her new pet, something which warmed my heart. She puts the joy of others before her own, something we can all learn from. 

Find out more on Michael's website

Suggested read

No comments: