Tuesday 1 October 2019

Nellie Choc-Ice and the Plastic Island by Jeremy Strong and Jamie Smith (Children's, 5 years +, 9/10E)

 August 2019, Barrington Stoke, 96 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Book summary from Barrington Stoke 
Nellie Choc-Ice is on her way home to the South Pole at last! She can’t wait to see her family, but then Captain Beardy-Beard’s trusty submarine grinds to a halt in an island of plastic – and they aren’t the only ones who are trapped. It’s up to Nellie to untangle everyone from the mess. But what are they going to do about all this plastic in the ocean?

Nayu's thoughts
I've read about Nellie's adventures in the past (see suggested read) which is the only reason why I said yes to reviewing this book. Plastic is a major issue in 2019, particularly its disposal. I understand it is a big issue, and needs to be reduced. Personally I have heard 'the world is doomed' ever since I was young in the 80s, recycling and saving the planet isn't a new concept, which is why I am rather weary of it all. I do my best with recycling, but it is all that is on the news (which I do my best to avoid). However, I love Nellie, she is a funny little penguin and if anyone could find a positive way to deal with plastic then she could. 

While my heart was heavy at the start of Nellie's plastic journey, by the end I did feel hope that is there in our world, if we take various steps. Nellie's view on the world is rather interesting, and the way she manages to engage so many people to help her cause, especially after she causes utter mayhem for them, is part of her charm. One penguin on her own can only do so much, but if lots of animals/humans all pitch in incredible achievements can be made, just like Nellie does. 

The only reason this doesn't get full marks is because of the subject. I probably won't reread this but it will find a home in a local school so be read by dozens of young readers who will hopefully lap up the positive environmental message within in. 

Find more about Jeremy on his website and Jamie on his website

Suggested read

No comments: