Wednesday 29 September 2010

Cinders by Michelle Davidson Argyle


July 2010
180 pages, Paperback
Review copy 

Fantasy, 

Infrequent moderate violence, mild to moderate romance throughout the novel, magic, magical beings, heartache, lots of tissues needed

Summary from Michelle's website
Cinderella's happily-ever-after isn't turning out the way she expected. With her fairy godmother imprisoned in the castle and a mysterious stranger haunting her dreams, Cinderella is on her own to discover true love untainted by magic.

Nayuleska's Thoughts
I love fairy tales. (I love the beautiful cover, the photo is taken by Michelle!) I didn't imagine that Cinderella would feel so lonely in the castle. Remember how in the original tale she got told what to do by her wicked stepmother and stepsisters? Well...in a way that happens in a castle. Some of the orders are implied, rather than stated out loud. But that scenario exists for Cinderella after her marriage. 

I liked the fact she has a name in the novel - not just Cinderella. She isn't that serving girl any more. Neither is she the amazing princess that I've believed in during my childhood. I thought she was an idiot. She has her prince charming...so why on earth is she trying to learn more about the man in her dreams? She should move on! She has a husband - a husband who is good to her. Although I'm not quite sure why he has a bedroom he shares with her, and one he has for himself. He doesn't need his own room! I don't care if the architecture and culture of the castle dictates that he needs a room because he is the prince - he should be with Cinderella! Yes, Cinderella does (sometimes) use her intelligence, so she isn't a complete airhead. But I feel she is a little bit of one. 

If she had done what I think is the best plan of action, the story wouldn't have happened. I guess Cinderella had to make her own mistakes. Her curiosity negatively affects the lives of those around her. I think that's what I also like about Cinders, the fact that bad things happen because of Cinderella's curiosity and not fully understanding the consequences of her actions. The story gets pretty dark - I shocked at how badly life went for Cinderella. I liked it though, and will definitely re-read it. I wish it was loner! The ending is sort of happily ever after, in a realistic way, rather than a flowery, fluffy bunny way. 

Final Conclusion 
Be very careful what you want when dealing with magic - it can go horribly wrong! 

Check out Michelle on her website here

If you like the sound of Cinders, you might like Talon by Janet Lee Carey

3 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Thanks for the great review! I hope it strikes someone's fancy here. :)

C. N. Nevets said...

The ending is sort of happily ever after, in a realistic way, rather than a flowery, fluffy bunny way.

As a fellow reader, I love the heck out of this line.

Nayuleska said...

Cool! I might adapt it and put it in one of my novels :)