Thursday 2 August 2018

The Polka Dot Shop by Laurel Remington (Children's, 9 years +, 10/10E)

 July 2018, Chicken House Books, 336 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Summary from Chicken House
When Andy’s school announces a new no-uniform policy, her classmates are over the moon – but her heart sinks.

All she wants is to dress like everyone else, but her mum’s the owner of a run-down kooky vintage boutique, so she’s bound to look – well – different. But when Andy finds a gorgeous bag full of designer goodies in the shop’s storeroom, everything changes. Can she learn to love vintage, and help transform her mum’s shop into something truly special?


Nayu's thoughts 
I love stories involving running a shop, and Andy's tale is no exception. I felt extremely sorry for her because her taste in clothes is so radically different from her mother's. There were times where her attitude annoyed me, she could have been more grateful for what she was given, but I understood Andy didn't fully know the full situation of the shop for quite a while, because it was something her mother hid well, until events occurred that couldn't hide the truth from her daughter any longer. The sad fact is while bullying at school shouldn't be happening, it does. People continue to judge others based on their appearance, which isn't fair because Andy is a good soul, she can be quite funny, and she clearly has a passion for what she loves. 

I understood her frustration in not always being taken seriously because of her age, which is sad but true. I read about so many inspirational young people in the news (when I do read it!) that what Andy did wasn't a massive surprise to me; I was in awe of her drive to help her mother as best she could. There were several characters who are memorable, including the not entirely nice shop assistant who delivers a grand surprise to Andy and myself later in the story. What Andy manages to achieve is miraculous, changing her small family's life for the better. 

I may not agree with what Andy did with the actual polka dot dress, her heart was in the right place, and again something magical happens because of her blunder. The way she bonded with her new friend was sweet to watch, making the inevitable disagreement harder to bear. I think many readers will find something to relate to, as so many face huge challenges of their own in life, and come out the other side changed for the better. I don't think there is a sequel, but I would love one to see how Andy's life continues! 

Find out more on Laurel's website

Suggested read
 

1 comment:

Lauren Westwood said...

Dear Nayu,

Thanks for reading and reviewing The Polka Dot Shop. I'm glad that you liked it, and found much to relate to. I'm also glad that you realised that Andy was a complex heroine, with flaws and many things to learn.

I really appreciate your taking the time to write the review.

All best,
Laurel