Friday 3 August 2018

Notes On My Family by Emily Critchley (Young Adult, 10E/10E)

October 2017, Everything With Words, 272 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Everything With Words
 Enter the world of Louise Coulson through her notes on her family,  school and friends. Lou is a perceptive outsider who takes notes  as if she were holding a film camera silently fixed on a world that tends to ignore her .  Her revenge is a perfect image, sharp, subtle and  full of humour. Here they all are: her dad who is in a relationship with a sixth former, Sarah her  moody sister, her mum who tries to burn all memories in a saucepan and has a ‘brief psychotic episode’ , her nan who goes to seances, her friend Faith who has six parents ( all gay)  as well as Lou’s dog and parents in her alternative universe. Told in the present tense so that you feel that you right there and sprinkled with Lou’s inimitable asides.

Nayu's thoughts 
It's interesting how my theory about this book from reading the summary turned out to be quite different from what the book was about, yet that didn't matter. I'd expected there to be a few diary/note like entries in the book too: there weren't, but again I didn't mind because it's such an enjoyable read. I don't mean that watching a parent have a breakdown is enjoyable, but the level of emotion and how Lou copes with her kind of normal. 

Some of her classmates aren't that kind about Lou because of the way she thinks and sees things, but the insight she gains on a daily basis about those around her is fascinating to read about. She is a brilliant observationist, which occasionally gets her in to trouble, but helps her navigate life as best she can. Her family and friends are certainly colourful characters. Admittedly I nearly stopped reading when she goes along with her grandmother to a church session, because I don't like the occult at all (least of all seances) but thankfully that didn't happen. Instead of being horrified I was amused by what happened at her grandmother's church: I don't know how Lou got through without laughing aloud at what was going on - while I believe in angels I don't believe they ever manifest themselves to us, and the whole experience was entertaining. 

The next paragraph contains a spoiler, so ignore it if you don't want anything spoiled.

Other parts of Lou's life aren't fun. She and the rest of her family endure a lot because of her dad's romance choices. I've always wondered how people who have a relationship with a student must think and feel, so Lou's dad's reactions made an interesting read. I don't agree with what he did, Lou had a hard time in and out of school because of it, yet for once in fiction the teacher-student relationship didn't break down, it actually lasted which was a refreshing take on the situation. 

Spoilers finished!

One of my favourite characters who had a fine plot development was Hammy. Animals in books are almost always funny, with Hammy being no exception. I loved the thought of Hammy having the run of the house, constantly evading capture and managing quite well on his own. In reality I'd be thinking that Hammy would have escaped into the wider world, but in the book he is in paradise and very happy, especially when he disturbs one of Lou's sister's friends!  

I loved this book, which is now on my reread shelf and I hope it makes it's way to yours! 

Find out more on Emily's website

Suggested read
Another book with complex family dynamics but definitely not as funny is Amy Chelsea Stacie Dee by Mary G Thompson (Young Adult, 10E/10E)

No comments: