Monday 23 October 2017

Al's Awesome Science #1 Egg-speriments by Jane Clark and James Brown (Children's, 5 years +, 10/10E)



July 2017, Five Quills, 128 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Five Quills

Energetic twins Al and Lottie are always one step away from TROUBLE…

Al loves experimenting and this time he is intent on inventing a time machine to take his family back to meet their Great Grandpa Boffin. A time machine would also be really useful to get him out of trouble! A young scientist who never gives up, Al is surprised to find that his experiments often have the most unexpected (and MESSY) consequences.


Nayu's thoughts
I'm terribly disappointed that book #2 isn't out until June 2018-this book is absolutely hilarious!! From the egg pun chapter titles to the funny expressions on the eggs I thoroughly enjoyed this scince filled read. I do think if I'd had these when I was at school I would have enjoyed science a bit more-I want to try some of the experiments for myself, but probably won't as I still don't like getting gunge on me (There's one incident when I was at playschool (or school), and refused to put on an apron so simply didn't get to paint!), which is a possibility where eggs are concerned. Plus I don't want to waste such a yummy food! The book says to use old eggs to avoid wastage but wouldn't old eggs smell? 

I like how the twins have a different particular area of science they are interested in because it shows readers that there's a wide range of science to be explored, so if you don't like one area you may enjoy another. When I was at school I hated physics (too much maths), and chemistry (was terrified of bunsen burners), but did enjoy biology (it was mostly theory work). I did want to know how the siblings got out of the mess with their neighbour since it got them in so much trouble, something that isn't exactly resolved by the end, but that is my only grumble of a read I'm already looking forward to rereading. 

Find out more on Jane's website and James's website.

Suggested read
A similarly hilarious book for older readers involving a smidge of science is Sam Hannigan's Woof Week by Alan Nolan (Children's, 9 years +, 10/10E)



No comments: