Thursday 27 April 2017

Gecko's Echo by Lucy Rowland and Natasha Rimmington (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

18th April 2017, Bloomsbury Children's, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Bloomsbury
Once there was a gecko
and she lived inside a cave.
She was very, very small
but she was also really brave.


To stop sneaky animals stealing her precious eggs, Mummy Gecko threatens the wrath of ONE HUNDRED ANGRY GECKOS. But ... are there really one hundred geckos? And, if there aren't, how will she protect her family? - See more at: http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/geckos-echo-9781408859506/#sthash.kZ8Lgpmb.dpuf
Once there was a gecko
and she lived inside a cave.
She was very, very small
but she was also really brave.

To stop sneaky animals stealing her precious eggs, Mummy Gecko threatens the wrath of ONE HUNDRED ANGRY GECKOS. But ... are there really one hundred geckos? And, if there aren't, how will she protect her family?

Nayu's thoughts
I love eggs as an object and a shape, as they can be pretty in books & frequently appear in the anime I watch. I love to eat eggs but Gecko's would be safe from me as I'm a chicken or duck egg fan. I love how devoted Gecko is to her gorgeously coloured eggs, how she takes care of her cave while nurturing them. She is quick thinking and extremely intelligent, using confidence and science to keep her unborn babies safe. 

I hate snakes but the one she faces looks fairly cute, unlike its wicked intentions. I thought Gecko and her eggs were doomed when a creature dares to enter her home, but she uses her surroundings in an intelligent defence mechanism. She ia an adorable creature and I'd love her to have another story! Readers will learn about the different types of animals, predators and the other kind who like Gecko have special skills to keep themselves and their families safe. This could lead to discussion on predators, and what type of skills readers would like to have. 

Suggested read
I instantly thought of this book once I'd read Gecko's Echo so go check it out! Something Delicious by Jill Lewis & Ali Pye (Children's, Picture book, 10/10E)

No comments: