Saturday 12 December 2015

Penelope Perfect by Shannon Anderson and Katie Kath (Children's, 7 years +, 10E/10E)

  September 2015, Free Spirit Publishing, 48 pages, Paperback, Review copy from NetGalley

Content: lots of humour

“I’d never been late for anything. I just knew this would be a bad day.” When Penelope oversleeps, her daily routine gets thrown for a loop. From wearing mismatched socks to receiving her first-ever “B,” will “Penelope Perfect” survive this imperfect day?

Nayu's thoughts
Having become a bit of a perfectionist in my adult life, and then learning to let it go (Cue Disney's  Frozen music!), I was interested to see how rigid Penelope was, and how she learnt that life can be enjoyed without such a rigid structure. She was extremely rigid! Everything had to be just so, and she'd happily spend the time making sure that everything went just as she thought it 'should'. 

Being late for school is a big no, which is why when she overslept she thought she was doomed. I wanted to hug her and say that it's ok when our plans don't match up with reality, as her distress was clear. However it came about I'm glad that she did then realise being less than perfect didn't stop the world from turning. That having fun with friends – and making friends – beat having perfect school notes. A must read for anyone who takes perfectionism a bit too far, especially while they are young. 

Find out more on Shannon's website and Katie's website.  

Suggested read



1 comment:

Kimber Li said...

Oh, I've been thinking of you and here you are with a new review! I'm hoping for a new computer set-up for Christmas so I can get back to writing and reviewing. Pain's such a pain, isn't it?