Saturday 11 April 2015

My Life As a Goldfish and other Poems by Rachel Rooney (Children's, Poetry, 6/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

You can see the cat thinking 'yummy!'
October 2014, Frances Lincoln Children's Books, 96 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Summary from Frances Lincoln
A monster’s lunch, a wolf boy, Monday mornings, monkeys, headlice, Christmas, making friends, goldfish – and lots more. Full of jokes, surprises and puzzles, but also sensitive and thought-provoking, this is a spellbinding new collection from the winner of the CLPE Poetry Award.

Nayu's thoughts
There were a few poems, including the title poem, which I enjoyed because of the humour and images they conjured up. I may not have enjoyed the majority of them, but I can see that they were all well written and memorable. They were a bit too odd for my liking, but with poetry I prefer less abstract and wacky ideas which I know younger readers love and will happy learn off by heart to recite perhaps adding suitable actions. A mixed read for me, but one I urge you to check it out to widen your poetry tastes. 
  

No comments: