Saturday 24 November 2012

Revived by Cat Patrick (Young Adult, 9/10)


July 2012, Egmont
336 pages, Paperback
Review copy 

Themes: death, secret government departments, the price of keeping secrets, being different, trying to fit in high school, living with people who aren't your real parents, breaking the rules, having fun, making friends & enemies, taking risks, some teen romance, a fair amount of humour and tension, a tissue is needed at the very end of the book.

Summary from Egmont

The world fades to nothing, and before I have the chance to think another thought . . . I'm dead.

My name is Daisy West and my whole life is a lie.

I have died five times. I've been Revived five times. With each revival comes a new name, a new town . . . a new life.

But this time, I won’t let myself die. This time, I’ve found a love that I can’t let go of. This time, I’m going to make my life my own.

Nayuleska's thoughts

What hooked me to this book was the concept of dying more than once. I wanted to know how it happened, and I wasn't disappointed with it. I loved Daisy's voice - she's funny, she knows what risks there are keeping her giant secret yet she wants to find out more about her situation. She wants something most people want, to be the non-existent 'normal'.  And she gets it. 

Being 'normal' includes having people who you love undergo tragic events. Being normal includes a lot of heartache. There are laughs to balance it out, and Daisy's voice stops the more tense parts becoming overwhelming - trust me, some books I don't even pick up because I can't have too hard-hitting reads at the moment. I loved the way Daisy's 'normal' emotions are examined, how she reacts to things - it's all 'normal' even though Daisy isn't quite 'normal'. But then who is? 

There isn't anything obvious that makes this a 9/10 read - it is an awesome read but didn't quite have the edge for the magical 10/10.

Oh, the reason why I say you need tissues for the very end of the book, not the very end of the story, is that the acknowledgements made me cry. 

You can find out more on Cat's website

Suggested read

If you like lots of tension with an engaging voice try The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson. 


No comments: