Monday 1 October 2012

Drina Ballerina by Jean Estoril (Children's, 9 years +)


 
This edition 1992, Simon and Schuster
160 pages, Paperback
Personal Copy

Themes: life as an up and coming ballerina, dealing with publicity, dancing in your own ballet, handling friends who are jealous, finding delights in all aspects of life, dreams coming true, excitement and wonder, house hunting, secret wedding, love, fair amount of happiness & laughter, lots of tissues needed

Book blurb

As Drina's eighteenth birthday approaches, the young ballet dancer faces some important decisions. The Director of the Dominick Ballet School puts an exciting proposal to her concerning the company's new programme. And what will happen between Drina and Grant, her secret love for the past four years?

Nayuleska's thoughts

I definitely had forgotten what happens in this final stage of Drina's life. She may be famous, but she goes through ups and downs of life. She learns that friends can resent her lot in life, never quite realising that the success follows years of hardship. I spent a lot of the book with tears in my eyes as this is what Drina has worked hard to achieve, and her happiness radiates off the page. I loved all of it, but especially when organising her secret wedding & wishing she could wear jeans and a sweater - that's exactly what I want! This is so very worthy of 10/10, and I know I'll keep rereading it.

Suggested reading

Be sure to read the whole series, which is heartwarming and still very applicable to life today in the lessons Drina learn, which includes Drina Dances in New York


1 comment:

Jim said...

A stunning ending to a blissful, wonderful series - probably just about edges out The Chronicles of Prydain as my favourite children's series ever.

Having said that, when I first read it, for some reason I was absolutely terrified that things were going to go really badly wrong at the end, to the point where I had nightmares!