Monday 1 October 2012

What are YOU reading? #135

What are you reading on Monday? is a weekly meme hosted by Rachel at Home Girl's Book Blog where you post books completed last week and plans for upcoming books. Jump over to her blog and see who else is participating.






Books I've read
The Snow Bear by Holly Webb
Children's, 5 years +
(A tissue needing super cute tale...my review...)
10/10




Winx Club: Fantastic Fairy Fan Book
Children's, 7 years +
(One of my favourite books of this year!  My review...) 
9/10




It's Not Fairy by Ros Asquith
Children's, Picture book
(A very funny lesson on how to accept things in life...)
9/10




Spike in Space by Malaika Rose Stanley
Children's, 7 years +
(Bullies are the same everywhere in the universe, as are brothers!)
6/10




Dork Diaries: Dear Dork by Rachel Renee Russell
Release Date:  October 2012
Children's, 9 years +
(Life is very traumatic for Nikki, especially when she tries to hide the truth...)
10/10




Operation Bunny by Sally Gardner
Children's, 8 years +
(Never underestimate a cat's intelligence, or a deprived child's inner strength!)
10/10



Guess How Much I Love You: Here, There and Everywhere by Sam McBratney
Children's, Picture book
(The love and warmth of Big and Little Nutbrown Hare made me feel fuzzy inside...)
10/10




Agatha Parrot and the Zombie Bird by Kjartan Poskitt
Children's, 7 years +
(I hate zombies and this was only a freaky read for a second...)
10/10




The Magnificent Moon Hare and the Foul Treasure by Sue Monroe
Children's, 7 years +
(Moon Hare is a funny nightmare!)
9/10






Partially read 


Shattered Dreams by Ellie James
Young Adult
(I had to stop at page 128 as it got too scary for me!)
Predicted grade: 8/10






Watched 


Beyond the Break
...I finished season 2 (which is more like half a season) of this fun Hawaian (spelling?) surfing drama. Although it was more dramatic (the lost at sea & stuck on a drug grower's crop digging a grave for your friend), I didn't like the directions the characters took. They seemed out of character in some places. And of all places to end a series (I'm wondering if it was ended mid-season), having 1 of the main characters be labelled as a thief when it was clearly a very nasty girl setting her up was horrid! On the plus side, there was no actual adult relations, mild teen romance, very much closed door policy which I really enjoyed. There was very little drunken antics, no actual drug taking, and I don't think there was any smoking which put it quite high on my list for a watchable drama (modesty wise - it's a beach show, so it's kind of obvious what they'll be wearing) 



Horseland
...a sweet riding animation that teaches life each episode in a very fun way




H2O Just Add Water
...yup, still rewatching these - they're so much fun! Especially now I know what happens.  




Elemental Gelade 
...Ah, this truly is one of my favourite anime (I have a fair few favourites, but this is top) It's kind of magical girl needs saving adventure. Ren! I'd forgotten how much I adore her - I love her dress, and her power is stupendous. 




Winx 
...I've only watched a few as the end of season 1 is quite dark & I've needed lighter shows to watch.




Negima
...the original version, not the spin off which I don't like. It's quite deep in places, but also very light anime - it is for a teen/older audience though with innuendo. 




Waterloo Road
...wow, it keeps getting more dramatic! Next week looks awesome. 




The Great British Bakeoff
...this week it was donuts - who wouldn't like those? Next week looks more challenging with gingerbread houses - lots of things seem to go wrong in the trailer.




No comments: