Saturday 23 July 2011

Here Lies Bridget by Paige Harbison (Young Adult)



June 2011 Mira Ink, 
233 pages, Paperback
Review copy 

Young Adult

Life of a mean girl, growing up, being nice to people, realising everything has an impact on everyone, changing your life direction, some humour, repentance, forgiveness, teen romance, (can't quite remember if there was any language), you will need a tissue. 

Book blurb
They say that before you die your life flashes before your eyes. 
You think it's going to be about the good stuff - every kiss, every party

Don't count on it. 

I was Bridget Duke - the uncontested ruler of the school. If keeping the wannabes in their place meant being a mean girl, then so be it! 
I never thought there'd be a price to pay. 

Until the accident. 

Now, trapped between life and death, I'm seeing my world in a new light: through the eyes of five people whose existence I've made hell. 

And I've got one chance to make things right. 
If I don't, I may never wake up again...

Nayuleska's reasons for liking Bridget...I don't like her! She's a mean girl who doesn't care much for others. I loved seeing her realise how hurtful she was, and start to turn her life around, even though it seems too late. Her voice made it a fun read. 

How evil/nasty is the enemy? Mean girls are nasty work. Girls can be very cruel when they are mean and selfish. So Bridget is her own worst enemy. 

Are there plenty of plot twists and surprises? There were a lot of revelations about Bridget. I loved the way the story was handled, especially when she had to learn what others thought of her, and her reflections afterwards. 

One of my favourite parts was...when Bridget started to realise she'd been nasty to people. That marked a huge turning point for her. 


I give this 8/10 

Here Lies Bridget by Paige Harbison, published by Mira Ink £6.99 www.miraink.co.uk

Suggested reading
To read about another mean girl who doesn't care for others, check out Rockaholic by C J Skuse


3 comments:

Nina said...

Yay a recommendation for a other meangirl read. Love that! I really enjoyed reading this book. I agree that Bridget was a very mean character. ;)

Ynysawdre Elderly Residents Association said...

I like the way you set out this review a lot. I want to read this one. :D :D

Nayuleska said...

Nina, it seems weird to say I enjoy reading about mean girls, but I do. We all have some not so nice aspects of our personality, and reading about others is a good way of thinking how we act.

Book Angel Emma, Heehee, it's just my usual style. Although usually I like the protagonist. Oh well! Go read it!