Saturday 5 September 2009

Dogs, by Emily Gravett


February 2009, MacMillan Children's books
32 pages, Hardcover
Review copy

Pencils: 5/5
Smiles: 5/5 (especially at the end)
Yunaleska's recommended rating: ♥♥♥♥♥

For any child who loves dogs, and wants to discover more about different breeds and personalities, I recommend getting Dogs.

Set on a cream background, the narrator takes us through different types of dogs. Good, bad, quiet, noisy - you get the picture. The dogs themselves are almost the only illustration on the page, keeping the focus very much on them. I like the added details - the noisy dog has heaps of multicoloured lines around him. The hairs around the hairy dog looked so real I had to stop myself brushing them off the page.

The names of all the dogs featured are printed on the inside of the covers, which is a nice touch, especially since I only knew a few of the breeds.

The funniest part of the book though has to be the ending, when the identity of the narrator is believed. It had me in peals of laughter. Hint: another well loved pet.

Emily Gravett's website is here.

This reviewer is laughing at her lousy memory: I've got another of Emily's books, The Rabbit Problem, which will be reviewed shortly.

Liked this? Try The Rabbit Problem

Buy from Amazon.uk, Amazon.com
Buy from Borders.uk, Borders.com

No comments: