Tuesday 18 August 2009

Escape From Shadow Island, by Paul Adam


July 2009, Corgi Children's Books (R.H. imprint)
288 pages
Review Copy

Children's 9+, action

Cushions: 5/5
Daggers: 2/5
Smiles: 2/5
Tissues: 2/5 (I tear up over anything)
Yunaleska's recommended rating ♥♥♥♥♥+

I'm developing a list of authors I'd love to hunt down and bribe to write faster. Paul Adam is one of these. Reading Escape From Shadow Island has officially drawn me out of the 'I prefer female protagonists' books. It surprised me, but that's how this book changed me.

The story of why, and how, Max Cassidy gets to Shadow Island is cram packed with suspense. Ok, initially during the first chapter I wasn't entirely hooked - why would a teenage escapologist (male at that) interest me? It's what happens after Max's show where I got hooked.

Why would someone other than himself believe that his mother didn't murder his father? Why has he shone up on the scene, leaving Max with a mystery? Why is this man then killed? Max is soon entangled in murder, a strange numerical code, and run-ins with the shadier side of life on several continents.

Max's character is believable. He finds it extremely hard to believe that he can fail at something. He refuses to back down on action once he's decided on a particular path. He doesn't want to back down even when it would be braver to do so. His father's assistant, Consuela, does a pretty good job of raising him while his mother's in prison. There are definitely secrets in her past. As for the other characters - well there's a girl with a boat, and a man from an occupation whose skills Max needs for survival.

It's not just the characters which make up a book. Location is just as important. I enjoyed where Max travelled to around the world. Shadow Island gives me the shivers just thinking about what goes on there, and the risks Max took. One point which I don't think is mentioned, is that I kept wondering what would happen if a shark came along and decided Max was food. I think I play Tomb Raider too much. Now that would have added even more tension. Additionally, a place which seems like paradise can have hidden areas of darkness.

The warning for readers about not trying any of Max's tricks is really important. Plus, it should have a gruesome factor attached. Because various points in the book had me feeling a little queasy. The 11 year old I know will probably think 'wicked' at reading Max's key trick - this will definitely appeal to the intended age group. I had trouble, at one point, keeping my dinner down. Then I had heaps of trouble stopping the butterflies in my stomach leaping up during the edge of seat moments. Especially at the end.

Paul Adam, please write faster. I understand that in a series its good to have questions unanswered at the end. But to leave the ending like that, where Max (blank) and we don't know about (blank) and person (blank) - this reviewer is eager for the next installment of Max Cassidy Adventures.

Favourite part of the book? The scene in the hotel, involving Consuela.

Paul Adam's website is here. Hopefully at some time I'll get to check out his other work.

Liked this? Try Daniel X: Watch the Skies by James Patterson and Ned Rust

No comments: