Wednesday 12 August 2009

Daniel X: Watch The Skies by James Patterson and Ned Rust


July 2009, Doubleday (Random House Childrens' Imprint)
288 pages
Review copy
Childrens: 11+ Sci-fi

Cushions: 3/5
Daggers: 1/5
Smiles: 2/5
Tissues: 2/5
Yunaleska's recommended rating: ♥♥♥♥.5

Alien invasion, not a new theme, right? You may well be correct in thinking that, but I doubt you've heard of aliens invading for the sake of producing entertainment for the greater alien population. Or the List of aliens, including the monstrous number 1 against whom Daniel X doesn't, yet, have a chance against.

I'd say this is aimed at boys. I was hooked after half way. In truth, I would have been hooked from the beginning, but I read the first half at a different sitting, clearly on a reviewer's off day because I just didn't get the story. I didn't get how Daniel could recreate members of his family by imagining them, or weapons in the same way. Upon the second sitting, I was thinking 'this is so cool, why didn't I think like this earlier?' As an alien hunter, the skill for creating people and objects out of thin air comes in handy. It certainly can't be done as easily under pressure.

All in all this is a good read. It's an even mix of laughs and tension, wtih the short chapters leaving on the edge of my seat , and the chapters are rather short, but they often leave the reader on tenderhooks. I loved the concept of the List of aliens, with there being different types. Huge shouts when a few of the higher numbers were eliminated, in rather ingenious ways. Daniel's main for in this installment: number 5.

The way the aliens choose breed in this novel is rather gross - I'm pretty sure I know an 11 year old who will love what I view as disgusting details. Not for the really squeamish. Or those who like caviar...

As for the characters themselves, I think there's something for all readers to relate to, be it Daniel's desire to save the world (well, who else will?) his new friend Judy's interest in Daniel and annoyance at the alien invasion (how dare they!), his sort of resurrected family and friends who try and give advice to him, and the evil aliens themselves. What? I have to give them credit, the way they turn people into slime so they can....oops, that would be a big spoiler :)

James Patterson's website is here. (I couldn't find one for Ned Rust).

If you liked this, why not try Astrosaurs Academy: Deadly Drama! by Steve Cole or Escape by Shadow Island, by Paul Adam (to be reviewed on Friday).

No comments: