Wednesday 20 May 2009

Urchin and the Heartstone, by M L McAllister


2006, Bloomsbury
361 pages
Childrens/MG,

I love Brian Jacques' tales of Redwall, and this 2nd book in the Mistmantle Chronicles runs along a similar vein.

I haven't actually read the first book, but I didn't feel as though I'd missed much out (although I'll read it when I can). This follows the tale of Urchin, who lives with his friend on an island, protected (mostly) from harm by the mists surrounding it. When a ship enters port, the animals rejoice and hold a banquet. Unfortunately the visitors aren't as peaceful as they seem. Young Urchin the squirrel, pale in colour (a rarity on the island) is kidnapped. Not only this, the precious heartstone which the young squirrel king Crispin needs for his coronation, is a fake. Urchin's friends do all they can to get him back, and find the true heartstone.

Cute and funny are two words to describe this story. I loved the attitudes of the different animals: the kings friends are determined to find him a wife, Fingal has a vendetta against watersnakes (I back him on that one). What unites Urchin's friends are their desire to get him back. Their determination shines through their actions. His enemies are united by the hunger for power, and greed.

Definitely a book for all the family

Paperclips: none
Tissues: 1 or 2
Overall rating: 5

2 comments:

Danyelle L. said...

The first book was a little too dark for me. :)

Nayuleska said...

Oh? I'll have to read it now and let you know what I think! This was definitely nice and light.