Sunday 10 May 2009

Grass for his Pillow, by Lian Hearn


Tales of the Otori book 2

2003, MacMillan


Did you really expect to review other books before I finish this series? I'm sure I have 4 of them, I'm hoping I have all 5.


This installment = wow! It should have a side label 'Kaede's' story' (yes, I can't figure out the punctuation for that). It's all about Kaede!


I'm beaming at the computer screen at how full of Kaede's life the story is. Takeo does play a role, but not so much. He's learning what life is in like in the Tribe, the ones who kidnapped him in the first book so they can teach him his powers. They aren't as friendly as they appear. He never forgets Kaede, and is happily reunited with her at the end.


As for Kaede, my admiration for her continues to grow. I've read several other tales where a young woman, similar to Kaede, goes through an awful lot and builds up political power. What makes Grass for His Pillow unique, in my eyes, is the level of detail that Lian Hearn uses to explain the transformation. Kaede never forgets Takeo, and strives to strengthen her own position as she can. Unfortunately she suffers a great loss that ultimately strengthens her resolve even more, and gives her the extra boost she needs to survive.


The writing style, just like the first painted the details clearly for me. I want the costumes in this book! My mind fills in the blanks and I can feel the material beneath my skin. I want to visit the mountains they journey through, and experience the wonders of watching birds on lakes.


Content: it gets a higher paperclip rating, a few incidents are rather shocking and imply a lot. They are few and tastefully written, so I would still read this. The violence I think is a little less gory than the last one. It's so nice to read a relatively smush free tale of romance.


The two different styles for POV's are used here, and still read smoothly. I definitely would like to own this series some day. Until then, the library might have me taking them out quite a bit.


Link for Lian Hearn is in the first review. The next book, Brilliance of the Moon, should be reviewed shortly!


Dagger rating: maybe 1.

Paperclip: 2

Tissues: 2

TGB: 0

Overall rating: 5/5


3 comments:

Angela Ackerman said...

I haven't read this one but what a cover! the color contrast really pulls you in. I'll keep my eye out for it. I love books with excellent detail.

Danyelle L. said...

How is this, blushability wise? It sounds like a great read. :)

Nayuleska said...

It's book 2/5 (there are 4 books, then a prequel). I wish I'd had the prettier cover for Across the Nightingale Floor, but can't be fussy with library books.

All the covers for the other 3 books are stunning!

Blushable...honestly, its probably not as bad as I've made out. I er on the side of caution. Probably less then 10 pages (full pages) of blushables. That's being very generous. If you like I can message you privately what the blushable bits are so you can decide.