Sunday 10 May 2009

Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn (Young Adult, 10/10E)


Tales of the Otori book 1
2002, MacMillan

Content: fair amount of violence/conflict, mild blushables, tissues needed

Those of you who follow me on Nayu's Realm know how excited I'm getting about books. From the previous review, a new genre had opened up for me; military fantasy. This book, first in what was a trilogy, but now has five books (I think one is a prequel but I'm not certain), has me whoohooing a lot. It's set in Japan!!!! (for an anime/sushi/manga loving reviewer, this is lovely).

This book also had surprises.

#1 Again, a male protagonist! They're everywhere, I tell you. However, there is a second protagonist, who's female, and other strong female characters who play relatively major roles.

#2 Different styles of points of view are used. For the male, Takeo, first person is used. The style was well written, overall the writing style has me wanting to be back in ancient Japan. For the female, Kaede, the third person POV is used. I can't think off the top of my head a book which uses such different view points. I mentioned to a friend it was strange, but it works.

I couldn't stop reading. The style had my mind conjuring up a clear image of the surroudings. I felt strongly for Takeo, the horrors he faced and who he has to become by the end of the book. I was in near tears at some points for his behalf (rare with male POV). As for Kaede – she may not be an amazing fighter, but when it counts she can hold her own. I wished there were pictures of all the costumes here; having seen photos of kimonos and other Japanese outfits I'd have loved a gallery for this book. Clothes are normally a side issue in novels for me, but these captured my imagination.

Amidst the fighting, both open and discreet between the Japanese lords, is the underlying romance between Kaede and Takeo. It is delicately written, with perhaps 2 paragraphs which nearly had me thinking '!' but took events no further than necessary. The ending isn't a HEA by any means. But then, it is only the first book.

Looking back at the books I read, I discover a love for people who have a power or skill that they nurture of the course of the story, a love for values of honour, a love for teachers and guardians. All of these concepts are embraced in Takeo's story.

There isn't anything I can grumble about for this book, so I thought I'd explain the concept of a nightingale floor. Don't worry, this information is given in the book blurb. A nightingale floor sings for its owner: no-one is supposedly able to cross it without it 'singing' out at each footstep. That isn't the case for one character, which changes the course of the region's political history forever.

Originally I was going to review this series as a whole, but after reading AtNF, each book needs its own review.

Lian Hearn can be found here.

2 comments:

Danyelle L. said...

Gah! I want to read this one!

Nayuleska said...

Do! It's a series I could read again and again.