Monday 11 May 2009

Brilliance of the Moon, by Lian Hern


Tales of the Otori book 3
2004, MacMillan

I think the library copy is different: its a hardback book, with this cover (one shown for the paperback version). That's why the publisher might be different to the paperback one with the same cover.

For the third time I'm taken away with where Lian takes Kaede and Takeo's story. This installment is darker than the others, with more heartache, violence and turns in the plot I couldn't have predicted.

I do like the brief character list at the beginning of the book. It was there in book 2, but I forgot to comment on it. The map gives an idea of where everything takes place, although to be fair I often don't look at maps more than once.

There is no-one who escapes from all this. Takeo faces life without Kaede. He has to make decisions which go against what he believed the future to hold for him. He demonstrates great leadership skills. The tough decisions he makes would be hard for anyone to make, but he does so knowing sacrifices sometimes are the only way for life to improve.

Kaede accepts a terrifying fate to keep her loved ones safe. My poor tummy turned upside down when the action that changes her life here happened. If I hadn't peeked at the end of this book, and then the end of the fourth, more tissues would have been needed. I was a little disappointed, considering how much of her view there initially was in the book that there wasn't a chapter before the final one, explaining what happened after a liberating event. But then the overall story arc is mostly Takeo's, and not much needs explaining. I just love Kaede!

A newcomer to the POV telling is Shizuka. Previously a maid of Kaede's, and one of the Tribe who wish to kill Takeo, her viewpoint on events provides greater understanding for why the Tribe act as they do. And, she's definitely not a hardhearted woman.

Content: I went very red at one point: just one paragraph which I understand why it was included, but the story would have been just fine without it.

Turns out I somehow misread part of book 2 (I blame the germs currently attacking me) and there was a non male-female brief relationship. If you'd like this explained, message me. This relationship gets implied in this 3rd installment, hence the high rating.

The violence here isn't just beating back enemies, it is a bit gory too. Beheadings mostly. Not something for the faint hearted.

The story isn't all doom and gloom, there are a few moments of peace, where the scenary and clothing (see? I'm totally obsessed with costumes in the Otori story) have my mind thirsting for me. From the limited knowledge of Japan I have through anime, japanese lessons and general knowledge, this series captures a great many of the unique customs of the island nation.

Dagger rating: maybe 2-3.
Paperclip: 3
Tissues: 3
TGB: 0

Despite the extra gore and blushable content, I still totally recommend this series.

The content ratings give it a 4/5 overall rating. I'm about to start the 4th book now, the final chapter in Kaede and Takeo's story. I know how it ends, but I still wish to see how it unfolds.

1 comment:

Danyelle L. said...

Great review, Yuna!