Sunday 29 September 2019

Because of You by Eve Ainsworth (Young Adult, 10E/10E)


July 2019, Barrington Stoke, 112 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Barrington Stoke
Poppy’s having a nightmare at home. Her parents have split up and her mum’s new boyfriend is moving in. Dad is the one who’s always been there for Poppy, but now he’s drifting further and further away. It seems like things can’t get any worse until it all goes wrong at school as well and Poppy finds herself being targeted by spiteful bullies. As the vicious online comments keep coming, who can Poppy turn to for help?
 
Nayu's thoughts
Any book published by Barrington Stoke is an excellent one. I'm not paid to say that, it just happens to be every single book I read from them is brilliant, and Poppy's tale is no different. I actually like how they are printed on off white paper in an easy reading format to make it dyslexia friendly, with short chapters to encourage reading. 

I like how realistic the drama in Poppy's life is: unfortunately a lot of parents get divorced, and there are issues like Poppy has with her step father (that's essentially what her mother's boyfriend is). That on it own is a lot to deal with. Add bullying into anyone's life and you've got chaos that threatens to bring Poppy down. I promise life looks up for her by the end of the story, you just have to keep reading and watch her life crumble before it improves.

I wish nobody could relate to Poppy's plight, but unfortunately many will. They will learn there is hope if they reach out for help. The online bullying storyline is well played out, making it clear that it invades every aspect of life but, with a lot of help, it can be defeated. Life will get better. It is firmly on my reread shelf.  

Find out more on Eve's website.

Suggested read

4 comments:

Alandre said...

I always turn to Vampire any time I want to. I become a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a Powerful Man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to Human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my Town. i become a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a Vampire Kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

Kit Charles said...

"I've been a follower of your blog for quite some time now, and I must say it's consistently exceeded my expectations. The quality and consistency of your content are truly commendable. Here's to many more enlightening posts!"
dicks military discounts

Edvin Berg said...

"Your blog is like a sanctuary for curious minds. The way you explore and analyze various topics is both enlightening and stimulating. Thank you for creating a space where intellectual curiosity is not just encouraged but celebrated."
https://tryvoucher.com/all-stores

Jennifer Walsh said...

Your review of "Because of You" by Eve Ainsworth is exceptional! Your insightful commentary on the characters and plot makes it a compelling read, much like discovering a great book deal through smart shopping with ''UsePromos.'' A literary journey worth taking! #UsePromos