Monday 30 September 2019

The Cornish Cream Tea Bus by Cressida McLaughlin (Romance, Contemporary, 10E/10E)

 August 2019, HarperCollins, 400 pages, Ebook, Review copy

Summary from HarperCollins
Baking fanatic, Charlie Quilter, inherits a vintage bus in her late uncle’s will and is keen to give it a new lease of life. Charlie thinks it will be the perfect mobile café for afternoon tea, so she heads to the picturesque Cornish village of Porthgolow, hoping for a new start. However, Daniel Harper, the owner of the posh spa up on the hill isn’t very pleased that her bus is parked outside his lovely hotel. Has Charlie’s Cornish dream developed a soggy bottom? Or can she convince Daniel that her bus could take them somewhere wonderful?


Nayu's thoughts
I adore cream teas. I love books which are about girls over 20 having a huge curve ball thrown at them, often in the shape of a cheating partner and getting sacked then having the opportunity to turn their life around in the form of a cafe or shop. I don't care how many similar stories there are in the world, I will read them all. A cafe on a bus is entirely new concept though and was a delight to read, even if it did make me crave sweet creamy treats (thanks Cressida!). 

I liked Charlie's 'can do' attitude despite some in her life worrying about how the experience will pan out. By some I mean those that know her. Daniel Harper does not know Charlie, and forms unacceptable views about her, as does the rest of the village. It took a long time for her to win over the hard-hearted souls who had reasons for being cranky towards Charlie, including Daniel, but they eventually realise what she is bringing to their community is in fact positive, despite some sabotage (I think I remember that). 

What shone through for me was how Charlie countered every hurdle with the bus and some help from new and old friends. She helps revive a community which is in danger of being forgotten. Sure her ideas are quite unpopular at first, and many are reluctant to help or give some of their time and expertise. But as with all great stories like this events occur that force people to do the right thing at the right time, eventually. Plus there is a lot of cake mentioned, so please if you read this have a tasty snack beside you. You will thank me later, trust me! 

Find out more on Cressida's website

Suggested read



No comments: