Saturday 28 September 2019

The Super Cute Book of Kawaii by Marceline Smith (Non-fiction, 10E/10E)

Look how adorable this hamster is! She pops up in the book a lot, saying Japanese phrases that I recognise reveleant to the page.

July 2019, Pop Press, 128 pages, Hardback, Review copy 

Book summary
The Japanese word Kawaii means lovable or adorable. Welcoming a little kawaii into your life is like opening the window and letting a sparkling sunbeam in.

Whenever you feel a little low turn to this squishy, padded-covered book.

Find fun ideas to: make a cosy kawaii home; playful, confidence boosting styling and beauty tips; and recipes that will make your smile. This book includes 10 easy how-to projects to bring kawaii into your life.

Here, you'll also find a host of very special kawaii mascots that will always be ready to give you a hug when you need one: The Octonauts, Smiling Bear, Hello Kitty, Gudetama, Molang, Ricemonsters, Miffy the Rabbit, the Moomins, Donutella, Unicorno, Moofia and Pusheen.

Escape into the magical world of kawaii...

Nayu's thoughts
This review has been delayed because I had wanted to make at least one of the many kawaii projects inside it. However what with various appointments that had to be done and my body being it's usual silly self I haven't had time to do that, so apologies. The best I can do is show you the fabric I will use to make some hair bows, which is definitely Kawaii. 

Those of you who follow me on Twitter or read my blog know I love all things super cute aka kawaii including anime, video games, Pusheen, Hello Kitty and Sanrio characters. A full definition is in the book, and you will discover how to make every aspect of your life kawaii, that kawaii fashion isn't all frills and bows (although they are really cool in my opinion). The amount of info and inspiration through food recipes and craft projects is impressive for a big this size. The hardback cover is somehow padded so it even feels cute! The chapters can easily be read one at a time, or a project at a time. There's a craft project involving donut decorations which I hope to do, and some day I will try unicorn toast, and an apple bunny. 

Just flipping through the pages cheers me up and gives me ideas for the future, when my body cooperates. It is very clear to point out there is no one way of kawaii, that it can be done on a budget, that everyone's view of kawaii is and can be different. It introduces lolita fashion, gives a bunch of cool websites you can check out for products and more ideas. 
I spotted this book on Twitter, and asked Super Cute Kawaii if I could review it and they kindly said yes so please check them out, as well as the author Marceline Smith

Suggested reading
I haven't reviewed this but if you love all things Kawaii check out this Hello Kitty crochet book which I do want to do but requires concentration with pattern reading. 

No comments: