Thursday 11 June 2020

Lisette's Green Sock by Catharina Valckx (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)


May 2020, Gecko Press, 36 pages, Hardback, Review copy 

Summary from Gecko Press
One day Lisette finds a pretty green sock. She’s delighted, until some bullies begin to tease her: socks should come in pairs; what use is one sock?

Lisette searches and searches, but she cannot find the sock’s missing mate. Fortunately, her friend Bert helps her see the situation in a new way. And together they come upon the perfect solution in this ingenious story about how socks, like friends, are always best in pairs.

Nayu's thoughts
What drew me to review this book was how adorable Lisette looks. She is sweet-natured, inquisitive and an extremely kind friend. There's a point where she looks so forlorn all I want to do is give her a hug. Then there is the issue of the sock. I spent the entire story giggling to myself, not because it is a funny tale, which it is, but because Lisette was so concerned about having only one sock, whereas I am a 30 something girl who rarely  wears matching socks. (Just on rare occasions but less than 5 times a year) I am known among my friends and family for always wearing odd socks. I can get away with it and it saves me precious energy when sorting clean laundry not to have to pair the socks up. 
Missing the other sock was a bit problematic for Lisette. She wanted a matching one to wear, but when her friend Bert came along and wanted the sock to wear as a different item of clothing instead of its original purpose, she felt even more obliged to find the second sock. Some bullies found it, then taunted her with it and threw it away so she felt they lied about having it. However, her mum has a surprise for Lisette upon her return home, which gives her and Bert great joy, and another character who is introduced in the tale, leading to an ending where everyone is satisfied. 

I don't know what the hardback version is like, as my review copy was an ebook, but it looks absolutely gorgeous and would like great in someone's book collection. 

You can find out more on Catharina's website

Suggested read


No comments: