Thursday 11 June 2020

Girlhood: The Story by many authors including Maria Purcell and Amone Gbedemah (Non-fiction, 8 years +, 8/10E)

Inside cover

The yellow version, nothing to denote what it holds within, in keeping with the personal nature of the book.
May 2020, The Hood, 66 pages, Ebook and Paperback, Review copy 

The perfect gift for girls aged 8 to 14. Part journal, part guide, “Girlhood: The Story” invites girls to capture their unique story of growing up while providing information and insights about the changes their bodies will go through. It's a great way to learn about, prepare for and ultimately to celebrate the transition from girlhood to womanhood.

Nayu's thoughts  
Being in my 30s I have read several books aimed at girls who are growing up personally and also for book review. They all have information about what to expect for menstruation, how to keep as happy and healthy as they can. What I liked about Girlhood, The Story, is that it feels unique in how it is more of a private journal than an actual book, with weekly calendars to put how you feel each month, it debusts myths and gives the facts in a fun way. The uniqueness is found in the fact it is all in black and white, leaving it up to the reader to colour in the plentiful fun illustrations. There are ideas on how to fill in the calendar parts and period tracker, but each reader can customise it to themselves. 
Image from the press kit.
Please note that I think this is a really good resource for any young girl growing up. However there were two minor issues that I had. The first is that in one of the tips it says menstrual blood is normal blood, which while true at that particular point it doesn't explain it is also other materials too, it later says this in the glossary, and I have forgotten if it is mentioned earlier in the book before the tip is given, but I felt that could have been clarified at that particular tip. 

The second point I didn't like, which absolutely nothing to do with the author of those pages, who I am not naming (I had never heard of her) is the part where the journal talks about sugar. It is widely known sugar isn't healthy, and I accept that. I wasn't keen on the fact the section made it feel like sugar was demonised, and that it should be avoided at all costs. I know that is a strong word to use, and I did reread the section in question a few times, but that is how I feel. 

Yes eating healthily is important, especially as a girl developing into a woman, and it should be strongly encouraged. However I do not feel it is bad if a girl does fancy some chocolate while having her period. It felt like sugar was being made to be the Big Bad, which it may be but I would have preferred a more neutral approach. Healthy recipes are suggested from that particular author's site, which I don't have a problem with. I just feel given how impressional young women are, portraying sugar in some a way could make them obsessive about it, when there isn't harm in having the occasional cake or ice cream.

Where to buy Girlhood
Girlhood: The Story was a kickstarter project and has its own online store found here. It comes in three cute colours, can be either digital (no cover) or physical, with the price on each fairly reflecting the different mediums used. If I was getting this I would get both versions, one to fill in, and one to save so I could print it out to use each year. 


No comments: