Friday 12 June 2020

Review + Guest Blog Post: Brilliant Baxter at the Funfair by Carol Cordrey and Tim Bulmer (Children's, 5 years +, 10/10E)

May 2020, Clink Street, 20 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Book summary
An exciting visit to the Funfair for Eliza, her grandmother - Granny - and their much loved Labrador, Brilliant Baxter.

A dog whose barks have words within
And he has the gentlest nature,
That always cared for children
Whenever he sees or hears danger

Nayu's thoughts
What better way to have fun at the fair than with a dog? There is a lot to do, see and try at a fair as Eliza finds out. Most of it you wouldn't catch me on, as I prefer my feet on stable ground that doesn't  go up and down or round and round. Baxter didn't go on the rides as they aren't pet friendly, but, in the uncanny way that some animals including dogs have, he sensed danger in one ride and went about making sure the guy in charge knew about it! 

I love the style of illustration which is full of life both with the vibrant colours and the amount going on in each scene. The rhyming style of the story will appeal to readers, they could even try to memorise it or make up their own rhyming story! Health and safety can be discussed as a topic, which I feel all readers can benefit from knowing. Baxter is a clever dog, and I hope he has more adventures soon. Check out the guest blog post from Carol below!

Find out more on Tim's website.

Guest Blog Post: The 5 Best Things About Baxter by Carol Cordrey
Meet Carol!
Baxter is our sixth black Labrador and even as a puppy, his gentle nature was obvious when we chose him at just eight weeks old. He fitted into our family – consisting of two young adult daughters at that time - like a hand fits in a glove and we have loved him dearly ever since. Despite being ten years old now, Baxter seems forever youthful and lively which suits me as that is how I like to live life, too! 

Owning and caring for him has been a pleasure as he has always shown a very willing and intelligent character.  He learnt quickly to be well behaved and to respond to requests to sit, walk to my heel, lie down; his favourite instruction  is, “Roll over” so that I can tickle his chest! 

Our home is surrounded by countryside with no pavements so I take him in the car with me for a daily walk.  Consequently, I taught him that our instruction for “walkies” is  “In the car!” at which point Baxter races down the hall to the open kitchen door, runs to my car and the moment I open the hatchback door, he leaps in with excitement written all over his face.  When we arrive at our destination and I lift the boot door, he flies out and rushes towards the grass or bushes and sniffs everything with intense interest. 

Back at home when I am writing at my desk, he has the most adorable habit of curling up under the desk space  as if it is his den, then rests his head on my foot.  He does exactly the same when I am sitting on the sofa reading or watching television and it feels wonderfully affectionate.

In our garden or on a walk he relishes bringing me a ball to throw for him to retrieve or fetching his treasured toy made of rubber that he clenches in his mouth and I hold the opposite, long end so that we can have a fun game of tug-of-war. Baxter is fit and strong and very demonstrative so he wags his tail with glee each time he wins the game…which is always, of course!

Baxter’s best quality is his sensitivity which shows in many ways, especially in his gentle treatment of children like our young granddaughters, nieces and nephew who love him.  When they were tiny, he would lie near them and watch them in a sweet, protective manner.  Equally, he has very sensitive hearing and barks to alert us to potential intruders the moment that anyone, such as the postman or a deliveryman, arrives at our driveway gate. He is, in fact, the perfect pet dog and a big, furry, bundle of joy!

1 comment:

Alandre said...

I always turn to Vampire any time I want to. I become a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a Powerful Man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to Human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my Town. i become a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a Vampire Kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com