Friday 15 March 2019

Mysterious Moorings With Mouse by Kitty Irvine (Children's, 7 years +, 9/10E)


 February 2018, Independently published, 180 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Note: this was updated 20th March 2019 due to me accidentally putting the wrong cover and synopsis. 

Book summary
As usual, Peter & Emma are sent to their Grandfather's for the school summer holidays and as always it will be the same old things to do and the same old places to go!
 But this year is different, they discover a small canal boat called 'Mouse’  This leads them to magical journey on the canal where they meet amazing mystical characters including Tippy and Tilly from Willowwood Snug, the King & Queen of the Frogs and they have the most extraordinary adventures. When they finally find their treasure it is better than they could have wished for!

Nayu's thoughts 
Once I'd reviewed (and loved) another book by Kitty (see suggested read), she asked if I'd like to read about Mouse. Before you get confused Mouse isn't a mouse, but a boat! Mouse is a magical boat, belonging to a very special couple, who were strangers to Peter and Emma but who are kind and mean them no harm. Although as ever, fiction is fiction, so please never go on anyone's boat that you don't know. They may be bad people. 

While I don't like being near or on the water in real life, I'm absolutely fascinated by tales set on the water. I love how Peter and Emma discovered how being on a barge works, how there is a huge community between those on a barge and those who help them at locks (think of them as water gateways, they aren't the type of lock that requires a key). This book reminded me a lot of the Enid Blyton books I read when I was younger, because through their adventures Peter and Emma get closer to each other, appreciate the other sibling's strengths and learn from their own mistakes which honestly were crystal clear to me, but then that's the joy of being a reader, having the ability to watch  characters grow., sometimes going through mistakes that I had made.

Find out more on Kitty's website.
Suggested read 

No comments: