Saturday 24 November 2018

The Trials of Eddi Dutch by Kitty Irvine (Young Adult, 10E/10E)

Love Eddi!!!!
 September 2018, 185 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Book summary
 Do you believe in fairy stories, old wives’ tales or legends? No? Not many people do now. Computers and modern science have put paid to all of that.But in a little village called Bugbrook there is a collective of older women who still believe in a tale from their village that a young girl who was the third daughter of a third daughter of a third daughter is destined to marry a prince. 

The girl must complete a collection of trials, without her knowing, to ensure she is suitable whilst also experiencing the everyday pressures of growing up. Dealing with school and of course, discovering boys and how they make her feel! 

This is the story of how Eddi, (flat chested, clumsy and very naïve) together with her besy friend Chloe, (clever and a figure to die for) make it through the trials including Eddi’s hilarious disasters and mishaps! Eddi is the chosen one!

Nayu's thoughts 
You shouldn't judge a book by a cover, but it can do a great job of enticing a reader in! I saw the image of Eddi and fell in love with the anime style. I know that doesn't necessarily mean I'd like the book, but somehow what I felt from the image did transfer to how the book felt. It is an extremely funny reading, taking on elements of fairy stories and putting them in a modern girl's life with amusing consequences. 

Eddi's grandmother was my joint favourite characters with Eddi: her schemes are epic, and she is determined that Eddi has no clue about her heritage or what her future is believed to be. It was so lovely seeing the story unfold: it was often embarrassing for Eddi, but she does end up with a prince, something I picked up on early on in the tale. Eddi is quite different in character to me in how she views and lives her life, yet I instantly liked her, and enjoyed her crazy journey. I truly hope there may be another book continuing Eddi's fairytale story, because I'm sure it's going to be as eventful as this first story was! It's definitely on my reread shelf for when I need a laugh. 

Find out more on Kitty's website

Suggested read
More drama involving royalty can be found in the entertaining read Secrets of a Teenage Heiress by Katy Birchall (Young Adult, 10E/10E)


No comments: