Sunday 20 January 2019

Nayu's Gaming Time #22 Asterix and Obelix XXL2

November 2018, Microids, Nintendo Switch & other consoles, Rental copy,

Brief summary by Nayu
Getafix the druid seems to become a traitor and be working with the Romans, so Obelix (in blue stripes) Asterix, and little Dogmatix set off to help free him from Las Vagum.

Nayu's thoughts
I feel kind of bad writing this review. I absolutely love the Asterix and Obelix books which I'm slowly rereading. There's a lot of great game play in this game, Obelix's infamous grumpy moods are captured perfectly, there's some magic potion time for Asterix, Dogmatix can attack the enemies in his own unique way. There are fun nods to other games like the Yoshi egg coloured menhir (giant rock),
Yoshi is a Nintendo dino who lays green spotted eggs

 and also to other Nintendo games like Tetris: 
Those tetris doors can be blasted with a bomb!
. I had a blast swimming as Obelix, who is my favourite character. Once I got the hang of it I liked fighting, swinging Romans around and jumping on them until they get stunned. The boar powerups made me smile every time I ate them. The puzzles weren't too complicated, and were fun to figure out.

And yet after a few hours I just didn't want to play any more. I think I prefer them as a comic rather than a video game. Which sounds sad to me, as I love the duo. But frequently within the game it was hard to get the camera when I wanted it. Asterix and Obelix swapped around as the main character on their own due to the controls, which was highly annoying. Because I couldn't figure out how to get items from special enemies I know I lost out on stuff that would help me in the game. While I could fight Romans, I couldn't fight them well, and there is such an onslaught of them in numbers that it wasn't all that fun. I have loads of games to play so am not going to spend time on a game I don't enjoy. There's a 3rd game coming out later this year, I think I'll rent it, to see if it's any better, but I suspect I'll come across the same issues again. 

I will be reviewing their books in time so this isn't the only mention of the hilarious duo that I'll be making ^u^ I'd love to know if you've tried the game or read the books!
Bye funny guys!

No comments: