Thursday 20 December 2018

The Spooky Pony Mystery and Other Stories by Jane Ayres (Children's, 9 years +, 10/10E)

The stories are far less scary than this cover!
September 2018, 110 pages, Paperback and Ebook, Review copy 

Book summary from 

Nayu's thoughts
Because I had a PDF review copy, I didn't see the cover until I wrote this post, which is a good thing because I would possibly have declined to read it. However, as you can see from the suggested read I have read some of Jane's works in the past, and she reassured me that it wasn't too spooky. I did stop reading 2 stories in because it was dark and I was on my own, not a good combination for someone who gets spooked easily I can say for sure that while the stories made my spine tingle, there were no resulting nightmares which has happened in the past with a book, and I wasn't freaked out for long. 

In fact the title story had me laughing and thinking of the current version of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, especially the episodes where sweet Fluttershy becomes a nasty vampire bat. 
Rainbow Dash is taking a look at the changed Fluttershy
I absolutely loved the mystery about the new horse, despite how on edge it made me feel. I kind of jumped more when Thea's mother overheard her plans with her brother, than when the truth revealed itself to Thea. What can I say, I love both bats and sweet tales. 

 All the stories are horse themed, each one being significantly different in nature and with characters that they did feel like they could have been part of a longer novel. As always with horse books I enjoyed learning how to take care of ponies, how obsessed the main characters were with their beloved four legged friends. There's no doubt that Jane knows a lot about riding! 

The rest of the stories were captivating, all giving me shivers at various moments. The only reason this isn't quite a perfect grade is because for one story, where a character disappears at the end, it felt too normalised: I felt the protagonist should have cared more about that disappearance, and the families should at least have looked for the missing person, regardless of what they deserved to have happen to them. 

Find out more on Jane's website.  

Suggested read








No comments: