Sunday 3 December 2017

Microbes by Amy Gallagher (Children's, 7 years +, Non-fiction, 10E/10E)

 November 2017, Thunderstone Books, 64 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Summary from ThunderStone
Microbes is a microbiology middle grade picture book about six types of zany microorganisms. Written and illustrated by UK artist Amy Gallagher

Nayu's thoughts
I like reading non-fiction books if they make learning fun, and Microbes certainly does that! I didn't instantly recognise or know how to spell a lot of the terms, but they their pronunciation and meaning are explained really well in this book. I love how cute the microbes, algae, bacteria and other microbes are! The best pictures are when they have daughter cells (they reproduce in an interesting way), which are just super cute! 

Everything is brightly coloured, the expressions leap off the page and made me smile throughout the entire book, heightening the enjoyability of this science lesson. Biology, like any of the sciences can be complicated, but Amy explains everything in bite sized sections which are clear and easy to understand. I had forgotten that mushrooms and toadstools (don't ask me the difference) aren't the only example of fungi, I knew how bacteria and virus's make us sick but I hadn't remembered the finer details, and there's no way I remembered all the long and complicated sounding names which make sense once you know what shapes microbes can be. 

This is most definitely an asset to anyone needing to know about microbes whatever your age! Hopefully they will instill a love of biology for the next generation - Amy has produced some Maths books too! 
 
Find out more on Amy's website.

Suggested read

No comments: