Sunday 11 October 2009

Have you won? Announcement of Competition 1 winners!

It's Sunday! That means I decide who wins books from my first competition.

All you had to do was say why you loved books to be in with a chance of winning 2 prizes of 3 books, and runner up prizes of one book.

Everyone is a winner!

The winner of the random number competition, chosen by my friend this lunchtime is....

Rebecca Knight! Congratulations Rebecca, you'll be receiving 3 books in the post, 1 chosen by random (or rather what I think you might enjoy) and 2 chosen by you.

The winner of the subjective element of this competition, chosen simply by what they said is.....

Everyone who entered (minus Rebecca simply for lack of books my end).

You all posted similar elements, about being taken away from it all, meeting new people, exploring new places. I simply couldn't decide. So, what I'm doing is this. There are 3 of you whose words stuck out for me. You will all win 3 books.

CaptainHook: What you said about books being there every stage of our lives is true. No matter what I'm feeling, I can escape in a book. They are home, when we aren't in our own home, when we don't have one (literally or not), when life is just chaotic.

Angela: for saying: "and for a short time, you can slough off the responsible, politically correct exterior of an adult and just experience the imagination in a way that most forget to touch when they grow up." Being an adult isn't always as fun as we imagined it would be. I think there are people who do lose their imagination, which is so sad because imagination makes people smile.

Inkblot: for saying "Because they contain an infinite world of possibility, a place where anything can and does happen - and because of this, we can learn just a little of why, perhaps, some things oughtn't happen." Some things, like having best friends needing to kill each other to graduate (you know exactly which wip of yours I'm talking about) can't happen in real life! But in stories, they make for fabulous reading.

The following people will win not 1, but 2 books!

RoseWorksJewellery: "I love that I can escape my own problems for awhile.." Me too!

Jo: Who sums up why I love books with action and suspense: "In the comfort of my own home, sitting on the sofa, I can be apart of seriously dangerous situations."

Marieconley3: I totally hear you on not having chores when reading! "Somewhere there is no paper to write, dishes to do, or expectations from anyone."

Charmaine: This line spoke true to me "There is a secret pleasure to peeling back the pages as you do the layers of the narrative." Little can beat turning over the page at a cliffhanger.

KimberAn: For the lowdown on Polar Bears (Why call them polar bears if they are only at one pole? "P.S. There are no Polar Bears at the South Pole. I know 'cause I live near the North Pole where they really do"

Danyelle: For the following (although I like princesses who can rescue themselves). They were the sword that helped me kill dragons and rescue that princess in the tower."

GMR: This is completely true! "I'm just a book-a-holic in general and don't need a reason...."

Can I ask that everyone emails me asap with details of their address. Later on today I shall work out which books are on offer.

I didn't make it clear in the competition, so those who are winning two books will have theirs chosen by random (trying to coordinate who wants what isn't easy. Those winning 3 books will get to choose). I'll try and pick ones you might like by looking at your profile/blogs. I aim to post all books by this Friday. Thanks to strange posting regulations, there won't be a letter in with the book - still don't understand why I get charged more for that. Once I have emails, I'll let you know when it's posted, and roughly how long it should take to get to you.

Some of you left emails in your entry - emailing me will still help :) I'll try to hunt you all down later, but I don't have much time right now.

Thank you all for participating, and competition 2 will be announced soon!

8 comments:

Jo said...

Ohh, awesome! Thank you so much, Jess! :D Emailed you my details! :)

Nayuleska said...

You're so welcome! I get to clear my bookshelves...and you all get books!

Angela Ackerman said...

What an awesome Thanksgiving present! You are the bestest!!

Nayuleska said...

Isn't Thankgiving until November?

Angela I think I've emailed you...hope I got the right address!

Gina said...

Yay! What a great email to see on a Monday! *~*happy dance*~* I sent my email response. Thanks for the great contest!

(Oh, not to but in but perhaps Angela is in Canada. It's Thanksgiving there today!) (Thank you Twitter pals for that factoid!)

Happy reading!

Rebecca Knight said...

YAAAY! I'm so excited :D. This is the first time I've ever won anything like this. Thanks so much! I'll email you soon.

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

I'm so excited that I won! And for the chance to get to know you better that this provided as we started chatting via e-mail :)

Nayuleska said...

I'm pleased to make your Monday happier!

Ahh - now I understand you Angela.

Chatting via email was fun!