Saturday 2 December 2017

See You When I See You by Rose Lagercrantz and Eva Eriksson (Children's, 9 years +, 9/10E)


Illustrations are gorgeous!
 August 2017, Gecko Press, 148 pages, Hardback, Review copy

Summary from Gecko Press
Dani is on a school trip to the zoo, and the teacher tells the children how to stay safe and not get lost. 

But Dani gets separated from the others.

Suddenly another class is rushing up the path—and at the back of the noisy crowd is someone she recognizes: Ella! The good friends are so happy to be together again and Ella wants to play.

What should Dani do? Follow her best friend in the whole world or do as the teacher said? The first, of course!

Nayu's thoughts
This sweet read had an entirely different vibe to what I expected. From the cover I thought it was going to be a heartwarming read about friendship, with the two friends often together and always having fun. I enjoyed how twisty the plot was, how it challenged my preconceptions, and was almost the opposite of what I thought it would be about. It's extremely realistic about single parenthood and the reality of living apart from your previous best friend. I think I didn't entirely imagine myself as Dani because from an adult's perspective losing a child on a school trip is a nightmare, so thought she was a bit irresponsible (but she didn't realise the full implications of her actions so is let off the hook).

I haven't read any of the other books, and felt Dani was bossed around a lot by Ella. I wanted Dani to say no to Ella, but she goes along with Ella's irresponsible ideas because she is so miserable at home and at school. I liked how her relationship with her father was explored, how she struggled with his behaviour and how the person she disliked actually helped her with him. Dani's uncertainty when she was presented with moral dilemmas stood off the page, making it full of messages for readers in a non preachy way. It only got less marks because Ella wasnt the amazing friend I'd wanted her to be, and had wanted a more cheerful read at the time I read it. 

Suggested read



No comments: