Friday 25 August 2017

White Boots by Noel Streatfield (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E)

 2008, Harper Collins Children's, 304 pages, Paperback, Personal Copy 

Book summary from Harper Collins for the latest edition 
Harriet is told that she must take up ice-skating in order to improve her health. She isn’t much good at it, until she meets Lalla Moore, a young skating star. Now Harriet is getting better and better on the ice, and Lalla doesn’t like it. Does Harriet want to save their friendship more than she wants to skate?

Nayu's thoughts 
 I read Ballet Shoes, also by Noel, over and over when I was younger, and watched the film (I think it has Emma Watson in) a few times too, so fully expected to love White Boots. It's so awesome! I love Harriet's eclectic family who do their best and always work hard, even when life isn't clear to them. I love watching Harriet grow in confidence while skating, and the issues she faces by having someone like Lalla as a best friend. Lalla is a show off and loves attention-to a point which brings out unpleasant characteristics. Harriet is a good counterbalance for Lalla, who craves love and to be in an ordinary family. 

I equally loved a frequent character of Lalla's governess, Miss Goldethorpe who knows how to handle Lalla's temperamental Aunt who dotes on her and is convinced Lalla will be an incredible skater simply because her father was. Um no, she doesn't realise that skating ability isn't genetic or guaranteed, but that made the plot more interesting. The moment Harriet gets her white boots made me cry, as did several other touching moments. 

Put this to the top of your reading pile! The introduction by the children's author Cathy Cassidy was interesting as was the extra bits at the end by Noel's nephew, as it helped me understand Noel's life a bit more. 

Suggested read
Only in searching my blog for Ballet Shoes to recommend to you I discovered I've read another book by Noel, Tennis Shoes, which unlike Ballet Shoes has a review: Mini Review #10 Tennis Shoes by Noel Streatfeild (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E)

No comments: