Thursday 24 August 2017

Where's the Baby by Britta Teckentrup (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

 
July 2017, Big Picture Press, 17 pages, Hardback, Review copy 

Book summary
On every one of the brilliantly patterned pages of this book, there is a mother animal with a baby. Children will love searching for the baby animal in this spot-and-find book.

Nayu's thoughts 
I have read books by Britta in the past, so like her style and I love most animal babies, making this a perfect match for me. While the colour tone is a smidge dimmer than I prefer, I loved hunting out the animals on each page, after reading the pleasant sounding two verse rhymes. I nearly had to ask my family to find the sloth baby because it eluded me for a few minutes, but mostly I found them easily. 

The minor grumble is that seahorses have several babies, not just one, but I understand why one may be portrayed. One of the cutest babies which made me go aww isn't a typical cute creature-I happen to love crocodiles, and find baby crocodiles irresistible! There's something about them being identical to their parents but oh so small. They are more universally cute creatures like a baby zebra and giraffe. Younger readers will probably take more time to find he hiding babies, and all readers will like the unexpected twist at the end!

Find out more on Britta's website.

Suggested read

No comments: