Saturday 26 November 2016

The Little Pioneer by Adam Hancher (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

Amazing read!
September 2016, Frances Lincoln Children's Books, 32 pages, Hardback, Review copy 

Summary from Quarto 
 We left when the grass was green and tall. When we got to the top of the hill I could see the river that we would follow out West. Nobody spoke much, but I guessed that we were all thinking the same thing... That we had a long journey ahead of us.

Nayu's thoughts 
A great introduction to life for those like the author of Little House on the Prairie. It isn't about Laura Ingalls Wilder, because unlike Laura the nameless girl is a bit of a diva, hates chores (so does Laura), but hates the wild too. Through the hardships of travel she comes to like the wild and the native who leads them through it. The hardships were many and tragic, cleverly shown through the illustrations as well as the story itself. The girl learns to be humble, and also to not sleep under a tree without being seen! 

I absolutely loved the outfits of the girl and her mother, I felt I was right there with them. I loved the animal which the girl was almost attacked with because it's one which Laura's mother had to deal with when her husband was away on business (Little House in Big Woods). I think this is a stepping stone to introdce readers to Laura's era through the nameless girl's adventure, using the distinct style of wagons and travelling with others for safety. I highly recommend this, and also Laura's tales for older readers. For some reason I felt like crying at the end and I don't know why, maybe it was because I've read about the era so know just how tough life was. Whatever the reason a book that makes me cry is always good! 

Find out more on Adam's website.

No comments: