Wednesday 1 June 2016

Best Served Cold: The Five Doors by Andrew Crossland (Thriller, Crime, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

 April 2016, Off the Ground Publishing, 278 pages, Ebook, Review copy 

Content: brutal murder, mystery, occasnal humour, drug and alcohol use, stron language, adult romance,

A young landlord is struggling to make ends meet in his first ever business venture; the conversion and renting of flats in a rundown hotel that he has bought. A need for money and a lack of interest of the intentions of the applicants, leads him into a situation in which eleven residents living on the same floor all hold terrible secrets and live shady lives.

From affairs, drugs and a suspicious history with the building, the young landlord struggles to keep the ever increasing tensions of the residents, down. To top things off, the residents share a secret so dark, that it results in deadly consequences for them. One of the residents are brutally murdered and the others become trapped on the third floor of the building with the unknown culprit.
They must put together the pieces of their fragmented pasts to uncover the truth about what is really going on if they hope to survive the night.


Nayu's thoughts 
The way the story is crafted gave me thrills right up until the last sentence. I had no clue when I started how the story would end. It all seems so innocent and a bit straight forward, and then it's not. Because every single part of each character's story is vital to the end I feel limited in what I can say. 

Usually I talk about the characters, which I'm a bit stuck on because most of them had a horrid or devious side which affects the story, despite some seeming nice. I can talk about the cute baby who got a raw deal thanks to the guilty parties. Oh and the fish too are innocent, and made me smile up until close to the end. 

I can also say almost everything is important. I was mildly annoyed that the item so many people died for wasn't full explained, but given the amount of times I 'ooh-d' & 'aah-d' at plot twists and multiple story layers I'm not bothered, and I can kind of guess what it was. I didn't guess anything that went on. The surprises are huge and turn all that I thought I knew on it's head. Even though I disliked a lot of the characters for their lack of morals they were intriguing and I cared about them. You must read this to understand what I mean!

No comments: