Tuesday 1 March 2016

Manga Classics: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (Manga, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

Just looking at the cover makes me go "SQUEEEE!"

April 2015, Udon Entertainment, 308 pages, Paperback, Review copy from NetGalley

Summary from Udon Entertainment
 A powerful tale of forbidden love, shame, and revenge comes to life in Manga Classics: The Scarlet Letter. Faithfully adapted by Crystal Chan from the original novel, this new edition features stunning artwork by SunNeko Lee (Manga Classics: Les Miserables) which will give old and new readers alike a fresh insight into the Nathaniel Hawthorne’s tragic saga of Puritan America. 

Manga Classics editions feature classic stories, faithfully adapted and illustrated in manga style, and available in both hardcover and softcover editions. Proudly presented by UDON Entertainment and Morpheus Publishing.

Nayu's thoughts
An emotive tale which had me hooked way more than the original which I don't think has illustrations. I was initially drawn to the book because of how cute the heroine is (I can be a bit shallow...), but the tale itself intrigued me, as a mother protecting her child is a theme I enjoy.

Oh my word, I was soon dragged into all the drama. I felt so sorry for Hester, she is persecuted for what happened (not entirely her fault at all), and I frequently expected her to be killed but somehow she survives and brings her child up as best she can, without hard feelings to others who are quite cruel.

I don't know much about Puritan America, so this book was an eye-opener into their conservative ways. Some I agreed with, some I understood but disagreed with, and some ways I thought were completely crazy. It's amazing that that Hester not only survived but managed to thrive under the circumstances. She has some help amongst all the hatred, which means the world to her.

The illustrations, as I mentioned earlier, are super cute. I love manga and anime because so much is conveyed in an expression which is ever so true for Hester. The manga form helped me sympathise with Hester, and to wonder how others could be so cruel. How she makes her punishment be a positive part of her life is admirable, and clearly displayed in both the text and the illustrations. I wish this could be made into anime! I'd watch it for sure. I'll keep an eye out for other classic stories told in manga form, as the originals are too dry for me.

No comments: