Tuesday 1 March 2016

The Jam Doughnut That Ruined My Life by Mark Lowery (Children's, 9 years +, 10/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

  September 2015, Piccadilly Press, 224 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Book Summary
A jam-fuelled week of disaster is set in motion by a single doughnut!

Roman Garstang is obsessed with food - particularly Squidgy Splodge raspberry-jam doughnuts - but he is about to learn that things are not always as sugar-coated as they might seem. Because of his Monday-morning jam doughnut, Roman's week takes a very sticky turn . . .

By Friday Roman has been banned from eating for 24hrs, narrowly avoided a faceful of warm toddler-wee, accidentally shoplifted, been given a lift in a getaway van, styled his teacher's guinea pig with a blue mohawk, started an OAP riot . . . and still barely managed to scoff a crumb - or lick - of a single doughnut.

Who knew jam could be so deadly?

Nayu's thoughts
 An insane and funny read about a problematic treat! That was despite the protagonist being a boy. The concept from the book's summary made me laugh, and Roman's magnetism for danger all thanks to a donut (I prefer this spelling to the title spelling) was believably unbelievable. Yes that does make sense. The plot twists are incredible, and so absurd that they could only feel realistic. I felt sorry for him, and all those who are associated with him, but he does do good in his own way. 

A few parts grossed me out, hence the almost perfect grade, but on the whole I was gripped by the hilarious tale. Stories where characters encounter disaster after disaster is always entertaining, and it didn't matter that I couldn't pretend to be Roman. I've had days where things just happen, thankfully not on the scale that Roman suffers, so I was able to connect to him that way. I hope there will be more Roman books!

Find out more on Mark's website.

No comments: