Thursday 27 August 2015

The Magic Potions Shop: The Young Apprentice by Abie Longstaff and Lauren Beard (Children's, 7 years +, 10E/10E)

  July 2015, Red Fox Books, 160 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: magic, potions, humour 

In the Kingdom of Arthwen, there was a very unusual shop.
It wasn't on the high street; it was deep in the forest.
It wasn't in a building; it was inside a tree.
It didn't sell food, or clothes, or toys: this shop sold potions.

Tibben wants to be the Potions Master one day, just like Grandpa, but for now he is an Apprentice and there is lots to learn!

Nayu's thoughts
This is another awesome book from an ace writer & illustrator team. It's their first chapter book, which made it intriguing. Although sadly this means the illustrations aren't colourful like The Fairytale Hairdresser series, they are still highly detailed, clever and funny (check out the cat shaped potion bottle). Despite Tibben being a boy (I much prefer female protagonists) I got rather fond of him, especially as he struggled to make a potion correctly. 

There are plenty of surprises for the reader, my favourite being the nature of the beats who Tibben goes off to investigate. That had me smiling for the rest of the book, as I pondered on my expectation of the beast and what it actually was. I'm so glad it will be in future books! Tibben's master reminded me a little like Yoda from Star Wars, and it made me realise that he must be rather old to have so many crystals on his cloak. I cheered Tibben on as he faced all his obstacles! 

Find out more on Abie's website and Lauren's website

Available at bookstores including NRC affiliate Foyles

Suggested read
Check out Abie and Lauren's other series which includes the read which helped me change my about the Snow White fairytale (that and the drama Once Upon A Time), The Fairytale Hairdresser and Snow White (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)
 

No comments: