Saturday 25 April 2015

The Time Hunters by Carl Ashmore (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

 November 2010, Amazon Media, 240 pages, Ebook, Review copy 

Content: strong frequent peril, some death, humour, tissues needed

Summary from Amazon UK (I don't benefit by mentioning them)
Becky is a typical thirteen year old girl. She likes Facebook, gossiping and plenty of sleep. So when she and her brother, Joe, are invited to stay with their 'loony' Uncle Percy at his stately home, she thinks it’ll be the worst summer ever. What she doesn't realise is that Bowen Hall is also home to a baby Triceratops, two Sabre-tooth tigers and the mythic hero, Will Scarlet...

Nayu's thoughts 
I can be a bit hesitant to read time travel books because they can be quite grim and at the moment I want happier reads. However, I wanted to give The Time Hunters a go and I'm so glad I did! It's a stupendously exciting brother and sister adventure which I really enjoy because it's interesting watching the brother try and protect the sister. That's not to say that Becky couldn't look after herself, she's got a fighting spirit which made me smile, and she looks out for Joe too because he is her brother. But there are times when they are separated, both by choice and through forced separation, which gave each of them the time to shine and rely on their inner strengths. 

There were constant revelations which surprised both Becky and Joe as well as myself. In fact there were times when I think I was more surprised than they were to encounter such intriguing creatures that technically shouldn't have existed. I must warn you that there are a few tragic and heartbreaking moments that made me cry, and made the rest of the story bittersweet. I'll definitely reread it, and I'm looking forward to book 2!

No comments: