Saturday 25 April 2015

Blindside by Aidan Chambers (Young Adult, Dyslexic friendly, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

 January 2015, Barrington Stoke, 96 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Content: peril, anger

Summary from Barrington Stoke
Champion runner Pete dreams of being a professional athlete but then an accident puts paid to those dreams…

Nayu's thoughts    
I know a little of the frustration which comes from having to give something you love up because of health issues, so wanted to know what Pete went through. His intense anger annoyed me a bit, but I remembered that as a teen I hadn't the life experience I have now that when something ends another thing begins. He was absolutely horrid to some of the staff and patients while he was in hospital. He got a bit deranged/stir-crazy and meddled with his own healing. 

However, he had to have and work through that anger in order to change as a person by the end of the book. He does get the dressing down he deserves in more than one sense of the word, and from it starts to view life differently. His family certainly appreciated his change of heart! So did I. It meant I stopped wanting to bash the book over his head – I suspect that male anger can be different from female anger, and will happily reread this angst filled book.

No comments: