Wednesday 29 April 2015

Mummy's Home by Christopher MacGregor and Emma Yarlett (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

Whoohoo!
  February 2015, Picture Corgi, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Written by Lieutenant Colonel Christopher MacGregor and based on his own experiences of going away from home, this comforting, wise book helps to explain why parents sometimes have to go away and shows ways to help children cope. 

Nayu's thoughts
I honestly can't recall reading a book quite like this, where a mother goes away from home for work reasons and then comes back. I liked how every aspect is looked at – the preparation, the departure, the counting down the days until she comes home. 

I experienced something similar for a much shorter time (although it felt like ages) when I was little and my sibling had to have extended stays in hospital (I did too). I wish I'd had the idea of a sweet countdown for my mother's return, but I did have fun things to do and I got a postcard every day so like the alien siblings (who are adorable as one has cute plaits!) I was also in touch with my mother – and this was before the Internet and texting were commonplace. 

Preparing the house for the cute little aliens' mother's return is a huge deal and helps act as a distraction from missing whichever family member is gone. I want to give this to every child who finds themselves in a similar situation, to ease their sorrow and see the event as a positive one, rather than a negative.

No comments: